Saturday, September 02, 2006

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Have you noticed how classic rock radio stations within the past five or so years have started playing a series of songs by the same artist? They sometimes have cute little names for that segment, like a rock block or an artist twofer. It's kind of a weird development, because all of a sudden, everyone was doing it. It might just be Clear Channel decided to try it out, and every station happens to be owned by them, but radio stations are doing it. I have to say, I'm a little conflicted by this practice.

Sometimes, it's awesome, if you get an artist that you haven't heard in a while and get a pair of songs by somebody like the Cars. Let's Go followed by Moving in Stereo would be fantastic. I think I'll put that cd in and listen to them right now. But if you get a pair by like Rush or Styx, that's like a kick right in the balls. In fact, that should be a punishment for losing on a game show, because you know that you're going to have to wait like 8 minutes, which is a borderline eternity in radio time, before you're going to get another shot at even a remotely redeeming artist like Supertramp. Sure, they're not great, but they would sound like they rock harder than Quiet Riot after Dennis DeYoung.

I think, on the whole, I have to say I'm not in favor of it. I'd rather hear an interesting song by Fleetwood Mac, and then move on to ZZ Top. If I want to listen to the entire first side of Rumours, I'll go buy it. Now let me hear Tusk followed by Legs.

I would like to point out that there is a football game tomorrow, where Clemson will be meeting Florida Atlantic on the field of battle known as Death Valley. This is essentially a freebie, since I should be in prayer mode in preparation of the festivities tomorrow. If we were playing a real football team, there is no way that I would be posting right now. But I must say, Go Tigers, and on Monday night, there will be an inordinate number of Miami Hurricanes fans in Clemson, South Carolina.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Imagine a rock block conisisting of two Quiet Riot songs though. Well, actually they really only have the one song, but imagine if they played "Cum on Feel the Noize" twice. Man that would rock.