Sunday, September 24, 2006

Absurdity in Supporting College Teams

Strange things happen when you pull for a college football team. For example, orange and purple are colors that are much more appealing to me now than they were, say, a year and a half ago, and I wear orange twice a week. I don't think I wore orange at all before becoming a Clemson fan. Certainly not with purple. My fashion sense leaves quite a bit to be desired, but I knew that would look ridiculous; now I'm not so sure.

On Saturday, though, North Carolina State played against Boston College. BC beat the mighty Tigers by 1 point, and are our only loss so far. They led the ACC Atlantic division, until they traveled to Raleigh and lost to the Wolfpack by 2. Everyone in Clemson wanted NCSU to beat the Eagles, even though the Wolfpack and the Tigers meet every year in a heated rivalry called (this is true) The Textile Bowl. This strikes me as odd, because otherwise we're not such big fans of the Wolfpack. We don't really care for any of the other ACC schools, but any team with whom we compete in a Textile Bowl is clearly disliked more than others.

So, because of the way the conference is organized we find ourselves wanting teams to win that we actually hate. It would be like a circumstance where Ron Burgundy (Clemson) has to cheer for Frank Pritchard (NC State) in a ratings war to beat Wes Mantooth (BC), to help facilitate Burgundy (Clemson) dominance, because Pritchard (NCSU) sucks more. I think Public TV Anchor would be UNC, UVA, Wake or Duke because they're more liberal and aren't taken seriously and Arturo Mendes would probably be Miami because there are a lot of people who speak Spanish down there. I don't know if there are enough characters for people to give FSU a role, but let's just say they're one of the guys that Ron beat the crap out of in the rumble. Or Dorothy Mantooth.

No comments: