Monday, April 02, 2007

I can't think of a dumber idea... that's not completely true.

I can't help but notice that people who cover basketball games (which, by the way, is a sport typically played indoors when it's on tv) make some silly decisions. The one that really strikes me as absurd is the aerial coverage, usually (but not always) by a blimp. Don't misunderstand my opinion of blimps; blimps are fantastic. If I could figure out a place to park it, I think I'd buy one. It seems really versatile since it can carry a bunch of stuff, like a pickup truck, but also can be really luxurious on the inside. Like a Lexus SUV for the sky.

The criticism I have is that, with your standard optical camera, it is very hard to see inside of a dome from the view of a blimp. So CBS has presumably paid some blimp pilot (...are they called pilots? Drivers? Skippers? Blimpists?) to fly around Atlanta tonight and take video of the Georgia Dome. You know, when Corey Brewer is hitting a three or Greg Oden is looking inexplicably older than his 18 years ought, I do feel like my appreciation of the action would be augmented by a shot of the arena viewed from above. And you know what? It looks like every other dome. Round.

No comments: