Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Snippets and pieces

Tonight, I wrote a bit. (Yes, I write in other contexts besides this blog. Sometimes it's even meaningful!) The problem is, all that came out was just snippets and pieces, nothing that I would call "anything," really. It's kind of a letdown, like when you have what you can tell is a really great sneeze coming, and after a few of those rearing-ups that precede the best, you can't force anything out. That's kind of how I feel about it.

I also have concerns about when it comes out as something that I don't want other people to read. I know there are folks out there who write for themselves and that's nice and all, but I don't get it. I can't really get on board if I don't think that somebody, at some point, will see what I pen in some way. Like in college, I wrote some movie shorts mostly because a friend of mine wanted to make movies and didn't have any movies to make. If wanted to make billboards (or comics, ahem), I would've done that too, just so people would get a chance to see my skillz.

I have a lot of stuff in my notebooks and hard drives and what not that will never see the light of day, because it's crap. That's ok, especially if it's something that I would call finished. There's closure there, I never have to worry about it again and can never have to worry about it again, much like the turd that gets flushed away. But if it sucks and I give up mid stream, then, well, I'm going to have to use another analogy because the toilet one just won't do anymore. Abandoning a kitten? Well, a kitten who sucks, so abandoning a puppy.

No comments: