Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A tad ridiculous

Under the recommendation of a friend of mine, I made my homepage the customized Google one. I chose some modules that clicked well with the sort of person I am: various newses, the weather, daily quotes, etc. I was going to say word of the day, but I think that's a default setting. I did not choose the calendar, which was really the thing my friend raved about, but I hate scheduling things. So she didn't convert me completely.

The quote I got earlier today is what caught my attention. I got "Not all treasure is gold or silver" by Jack Sparrow. First, I must say that I am tired of Johnny Depp. But this quote wasn't by Johnny Depp; it was by Jack Sparrow, who, if I recall correctly, was a character in a movie based on a ride in which he didn't appear. Although Keira Knightly was a nice addition, and should be in the ride in the future. It also got me thinking about how there are also a few Will Smith quotes, which are from movies like Men in Black, which is surprising, because Jay or Kay of whoever the hell he was didn't get credited. I guess it's a little better, since Will Smith is actually a person, but somehow I doubt he actually wrote that line. Some anonymous scriptwriter got gypped out of his credit.

The problem is that the source of these quotes is the website quotes4all.net, which is apparently open source. Anybody can just send in a quotation. There are a few by Sir Winston Churchill, who is a personal hero of mine, which is wrong. "If you are not liberal by the time you are 25, you have no heart. If you are not conservative by the time you are 35, you have no brains." and "Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." Not only did he not say either of those things, but the second quote isn't even the correct incorrect quotation. Click here if you care enough to see why this is the case.

This is also the same principle as to why I don't know how much I can trust wikipedia, since a good majority of people who use the internet are retards. But not any of you guys, you're all brilliant. Except that guy who used to post about his financial blog, I still kind of hate him for falsely raising my hopes of getting new and meaningful comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always hate being attributed for things I didn't say. But mis-quoting or just changing the quote of someone else is always fun.

Unknown said...

"...a good majority of people who use the internet are retards. But not any of you guys, you're all brilliant."

That line made me chuckle.