Friday, August 18, 2006

I feel like James Garner

A situation has arisen that I have not yet figured out. To be fair, there are actually numerous of those in my life right now, including my Master's project and properly frying an egg. There is one, however that is on my mind, and that's the situation I meant at the beginning. My right knee is sore, and I have no idea why that would be so. I haven't done anything particularly exerting with it (my left knee is where I put all my knee-related exertion -- I am left handed and left kneed) and I don't remember banging it on anything. So how did this happen?

There isn't any bruising or contusions suggesting what's wrong. (I just wanted to use the word 'contusion.') There are times when I find scratches and things on my hands, and don't remember where they came from, but my hands are my hands; they're in the middle of the action. I do pretty much everything with my hands. In fact, right now, I have a few cuts, but they're not from anything awesome like getting cut by a falcon as I was teaching it to fetch me whiskey. I cut them removing the plastic string-thing that holds the price tag on my new flip-flops. But my knees, even though they are my go-to joints for walking, don't get in nearly as much hijinx as my hands. I like to think of myself as a pretty experienced walker, and this has never come up before. This is a little startling, because I'm not really old enough to have my body start fighting with me yet. I'm not even old enough to have decided if I want to grow a full beard yet.

So what can I do? I don't think it's really worth going to the health center on campus, since I don't really know how to explain the problem. "My knee hurts." What are they going to do? I don't think it's bad enough to ask for pain killers (although I hear they're fun) and I don't know what a brace would do. Even if it would help, I think I'd refuse to wear it simply on principle. I may not have a developed sense of style, but I know that would look absurd. At least that's what I think when I see other people. A cane, on the other hand, would be awesome. I would have no problem walking on a cane; although it would mean I need a new wardrobe, composed entirely of 1920's era suits with top hats and monocles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once found the same thing, but with my left knee. I finally figured out that it had to do with how I was getting into my car. My car at the time was very low to the ground (no, not because the tires were flat) and I discovered I was twisting a bit as I entered. I changed my approach and the pain went away after a few weeks. But that was my left knee. So maybe you're often the passenger in a mazda miata?

-Aaron Z.

Anonymous said...

I met a grad student with a cane at orientation the other day, and he couldn't have been much older than 28. It was the first person I've ever met that had a cane. A friend and I snickered behind his back at how ridiculous he looked (we had all sorts of witty things to say; you should have been there). And we couldn't figure out if he really needed one or it was just part of his image. Still, I wanted to take it away and throw it down a hill and watch him go fetch it.

Engineer Sighted said...

Aaron, you might be onto something with the getting into and out of an automobile. I wish I was the passenger often in a Miata, but typically I'm the driver of a Dodge Ram, which is kind of a vertical step. I'll have to investigate.

Anon, so that's a vote against the cane/top hat/monocle ensemble?

Unknown said...

I always associated a cane with a pimp, and even if you're not a pimp, you just happen to fancy dressing in suits, top hats, and canes, it looks ridiculous.

Add another vote to the no cane thing.