Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The end of the world as we know it

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the stuff going on in the Middle East does not mean the world is about to end. I can tell that you're stunned already, but hear me out. The two sides involved can't even agree on who started what, so I think it might just be people who shoot stuff at each other shooting stuff at each other. It does stir up some excitement, though.

Those lovable scamps at the History Channel aren't even above taking advantage of the mood. The other night (last night?) I caught a special about the Anti-Christ. It showed megachurches in Colorado talking about Satan is probably literally alive on the earth now and building his army. The program did point out that people have been talking about the Anti-Christ for like 2000 years now -- essentially since the appearance of the regular Christ.

But what would we do if it was the end? What sorts of preparations does one make (let's forget the religious preparations for now, because really, making peace with the regular Christ would probably be high on many folks' lists)? Would you eat only cake frosting as fire rained from the sky? Or would you see how many peeps you could force down? Better yet, make mosaics out of the blocks that make up Hershey's chocolate bars, and the eat pieces of it, resulting in a comical picture? For some reason, all of my end of world fantasies involve eating foods that would otherwise make me fat later. I might also drive my car really fast over of a baseball field. That sounds awesome.

No comments: