Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Everything is new all over again

A lot has been happening and changing in my life lately. New wife, new job, new city, new house, new kitchen knives, and a new dog (sort of). One thing I've learned through the course of all of this "newness" is that people like to pay a lot of attention to you. And you know what? It's awesome. Attention is fantastic; it's why people want to be famous, it's why girls where slutty clothes, it's why arsonists start fires. It's a little weird to start coming back down to earth, since my brother and his fiancee are taking the bar today and tomorrow and will be getting married in November, and it's their turn now. I'll have to think of something to steal the spotlight again once I get bored.

One thing that is missing from that new list is new church, because getting settled into a new place is hard. We had a pretty good thing going in Augusta, so we're looking for a group like that, we've tried four so far: First Baptist Charleston, Grace on the Ashley, East Cooper Baptist, and Ashley River Baptist. Nothing final yet, but it's something that I am starting to recognize that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I find it's much easier to lose focus (hey! is that a bird? [Actually the other day, a cardinal {not the Catholic dignitary} was hanging out on my porch. The new dog (sort of) didn't even notice.]) when you're not plugged in. Also, it's a grounding I could use after having four months of people solidly asking me what's next for such an exciting life. ("Well, after a few weeks in South America, I think we'll summer in Charleston.")

It's a reminder, really, that to be successful in Christianity, you can't really exist out there on your own. A lot of people feel that it's a personal matter better served in private, and while part of that is true, it's a self-deception to think that you can grow alone. You need to be plugged into a community, growing and struggling together with other people. I have been encouraged, though, that a lot more people at work than I was expecting to have asked me if I have found a church home yet. I haven't been reading or praying as much for a variety of reasons, but it just feels easier without being part of a church community. Just like my clothes get piled up on the floor a lot less often now that I have a wife living with me. I also watch a lot less Dirty Jobs.

Anyway, I am hoping for humility and discipline as we try to get settled, and to be a good leader for Dr. Sighted. Also, I am looking forward to eating really good Charleston food at church cookouts.

2 comments:

mlo said...

you have a dog?!?! :)

Engineer Sighted said...

Sort of...