Thursday, July 02, 2009

Yes, I need them all.

I went grocery shopping today, which is probably my favorite form of shopping. I do like liquor shopping too, but I don't drink it fast enough to really need to go very often, so it's not really the same. You can consume the purchase from the grocery store for breakfast without being Charlie Sheen.

As you read in a previous entry (or better have!) I have taken to going to Sams. But not today. I was thinking about an item I needed, though, and how strange it is to buy them in bulk. Somethings work out fine when you buy a thousand of them, like ziploc baggies or Teddy grahams. There are a few things that are not quite as seemly. At least, that's the impression that I get.

I am thinking, of course, of toilet paper. Is it just me, or is there some sort of weird stigma for someone carrying around a giant package of toilet paper? When you see someone, particularly a guy, carrying a 64 roll package of bathroom tissue, isn't your first immediate thought, "Wow, he must like tacos." Women, particularly middle aged women, get a little bit of a pass because they tend to be buying for families more often than men, and is probably dealing with children who are [probably] boys and don't know how to take care of themselves.

What other things can you think of that might be better served being bought from Publix rather than Sams? I say tacos.

3 comments:

Andrew Sheffield said...

I don't know if Sam's sells condoms, but I could Imagine that being a bit weird. "I need this 10 dozen pack of condoms. you know... three day weekend coming up."

Brian said...

I draw the line at 12 packs on TP and would add any suppository medication to the list. Buying instant mash potatoes to feed my sourdough starter was also embarrassing.

Engineer Sighted said...

@Wachapreague
Embarrassing or bragadocious?

@Brian
Buying instant mashed potatoes in any quantity is embarrassing.