Sunday, June 07, 2009

A grain of an argument

My girlfriend and I recently had an argument. Naturally, she could not be more wrong, and as far as I know, she has no blog with three readers to dispute my claims. She made the heinous suggestion that wild rice is the worst rice. The only way this could be more wrong would be if the claim at hand were to say that the Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie. Everyone knows that Raiders is best, followed closely by Last Crusade. We will just ignore that stupid one with that kid with the weird name. (Similarly, Empire > Jedi > New Hope, ignoring that stupid new trilogy.)

Here's the skinny on rice: Yellow is the best. Yellow rice is the America of rice. No one denies this. It is flavored with saffron, of course, which is superexpensive. Every time I eat yellow rice it's like I am eating gold in every bite. That is incredible, and untouchable by anything else that rice has to offer. Next, though, is wild rice. Wild rice is Great Britain. She is implying that it is like Cameroon. No way. That's like white rice that you cook too long and it's like a paste.

White rice and I have had our problems, though. It is kind of bland and I don't have a rice cooker so I would make a poor Asian and when you boil it, the rice water that spills over the pot is really gross. How much superexpensive herb is involved with white rice? None. Step up your game, white rice. At least the Thais put jasmine in theirs to make it taste like something. White rice is the Cameroon of rice. At its best, it is really just a vehicle to put other things on. Lots of upside there. You can make gumbo with yellow rice, I'm sure, and it would be glorious.

Broccoli cheddar rice is Germany. It has no glaring weaknesses, brings a lot to the table, and doesn't try to be something it's not. You're not putting sweet and sour meatballs on it, but if you have it next to roast beef you are having a heck of a meal right there. I haven't had brown rice in like 35 years so I don't really have anything to say about it.

The moral of the story, though, is that wild rice is great and those that disagree need to be convinced. I would suggest you help convince in the comments section, but I don't think she reads the comments. Or the posts.

6 comments:

Brian d'Entremont said...

Wild rice is awesome. Sadly, she sounds about as unbalanced as my dad who doesn't like olives or pecans and I am not sure that this can be fixed.

azinck said...

Your ponderings on rice have coerced me to come out of the shadows.

In short, I am firmly in your girlfriend's camp. Wild rice is no good. I find the texture wholly dissatisfying.

Andrew Sheffield said...

I am of the opinion that wild rice is the best rice. Second is yellow rice but if you are looking to make your white rice tastier, I recommend lime juice and salt... a lot of salt. It sounds crazy but it's really crazy delicious. It kind of tastes like the white rice and Chipotle.

SHatter said...

Brown Rice is delicious. White rice is delicious because of its place in sushi. broccoli cheddar is amazing. Wild rice is okay, but not as good as yellow. The best rice however, is rice krispies.

Engineer Sighted said...

@Brian
I wouldn't say unbalanced. But no, she does like olives either.

@Zinck
You're still alive! And wrong!

@Wachapreague
I think you know of my lime opinions. I must try that.

@Shatter
FTW

Brian said...

Olive haters are a class of people that I will never understand.