Sunday, November 04, 2007

So long EDT

Last night we switched back to Eastern Standard Time, unless you live in some backwards place like Iowa or New Mexico where they use Goofy Time. Daylight Saving Time is pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. The best thing about the whole ordeal is right now, when you get the hour back. Is it really worth all this hassle to borrow an hour from April and pay it back in November? I think I'd rather have the hour in April, since the weather is way better.



Also, there is only one "S" in saving. Many people erroneously call it Daylight Savings Time, and this practice simply has to stop. As crazy as it sounds, I think Indiana had the right idea, and recently fell into the practice of the rest of us sheep. During my stay in the Hoosier State, that part was pretty nice -- never having to switch the clocks. I do miss that. We're back on EST now, so things are right with the world, timewise, until the spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your right on and you have touched a nerve as far as I am concerned. I love the extension as part of an "energy bill" this year. The day it started, I was planning to bicycle to campus and then, finding it was still dark, cranked up my car. I think the same happens in the evening when it is light later, and people are inclined to go out. When Americans go out, they drive and each person that drives probably consumes the equivalent saving of dozens of people in the light bulb department. Besides, even if the net change is a small saving in energy (which I strongly doubt), I think it definitely trades electrical energy for gasoline. This is not such a brilliant idea for a country that sits on a massive pile of coal and uranium while importing oil at ever higher prices.

Engineer Sighted said...

Ha ha, serious comments? What is this, Veteran's Day?

Anonymous said...

I guess it was, but this gets me angry year round! However, I will restrain myself and stop ranting on that.

You know it is kind of sad when veterans day gets that little attention, particularly during a protracted war, that I could miss it, particularly on a college campus where there are always festivals, ceremonies, and commemorations.

This issue brings up a question as well, why do the comments in your blog have times, but not dates?