Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jeopardy! is strange sometimes

I am watching Jeopardy! right now. I like to include the exclamation point when I write it, because it makes me chuckle. If you happen to be watching it, or saw it last night, the winner might be the creepiest kid I've ever seen on television. And really, Jeopardy! often has it's share of folks with whom you probably wouldn't want to share a conversation and an ice cream. I have mixed opinions about this, because I never want to see this person again, but I also want everyone I know to get the chance to see this train wreck.

I was trying to convince somebody to turn on the program in order to look at this kid. The problem, though, is that Jeopardy! isn't always on at the same time, depending on where you live. Some places it's on at 7, others at 7:30. But that's pretty much it. Why do you suppose that is? Interestingly enough, my apartment gets the show at both times because we get the HD feed of ABC from New York. My roommate and I got to watch the political ads in the NJ race that re-elected a senator who was implied to be connected to the mafia. I hope that's couched in enough legalese that in case this blog ever gets popular, I don't want to be sued -- I don't know if he actually was, but the ad implied it, and really, he's in New Jersey, so come on.

None of this explains why local ABC affiliates haven't been able to coordinate and settle on a universal time for Jeopardy! and its bastard cousin, Wheel of Fortune. Really, I'd think that a show named after a Tarot card would be pretty cool. Wouldn't you watch a show called the Hanged Man? I know I would. This does allow for the possibility of a Jeopardy! racket where you can bet your friends and take their money. I could see a scene like in the movie Rounders where the protagonist walks into a darkened and seedy suburban media room and has to prove that he has an envelope full of cash and agrees to the house rules as to whether they have to say "What is" before calling out the answer.

*Good news, everybody -- Andrew won again. I encourage all of you to tune in tomorrow night, whether it's 7 or 7:30, and see this guy. I'm not sure if I can explain what it is exactly that makes me so uneasy to watch him on tv, but I am confident that you'll recognize it immediately when you see him. Also, somebody get him a suit that fits right.

5 comments:

mlo said...

yes YES YES.

i've been watching jeopardy all week and have seen each one of andrew's wins. i have to say, i have a mini crush on him. he is awkward, but that's what makes him MESMERIZING.

and the re-elected senator... he offers a source of protection.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jeopardy! (Exclamation was for you) is just a blast to watch in HD.

Oh, and thanks for making me watch the show at 7:00 or 7:30 to see him instead of you just putting a picture up.

Engineer Sighted said...

@m.lo

Ha ha, Marlo, you always understand.

@will

A mere picture couldn't capture the experience that is Andrew.

JCTiger said...

so I'm on tour right now and I haven't been able to catch Jeopardy! in a few weeks... luckily they have a video you can watch of each contestant on this site..

http://www.jeopardy.com/showguide_thisweek.php

If it's Andrew Roston you are talking about.... good lord....

Engineer Sighted said...

Yes. But the meet the contestant segment is really where he got to shine. It's a shame he's gone now...