Monday, May 07, 2007

A baby fox is called a "kit." I hope that's accurate.

A friend of mine challenged me to write an entry that includes the mumps and something else, which would be kind of a difficult piece to write. However, I can't remember what that other thing is. I promise that I'll write that, as soon as she reminds me what that other thing is. I'm not going to say anything more about the mumps in this post. But expect more mumps in the future. I do like the word mumps, and I apologize for lying to you guys about not mentioning the mumps again. Y'all deserve better.

I have to give credit to early man for domesticating the animals that we all know and love. Dogs, cats, horses, livestock, etc. Dogs protect homes, cats are hilarious and sometimes adorable, horses are good for riding and racing, and livestock is delicious. On the other hand, I have to wonder why other awesome animals got passed over by the domestication train, like the fox, raccoon and toucan. There are a few others, too: a tiny elephant, house cat sized jaguars, and zebras for riding. I really have to wonder why knights in Medieval France didn't go to Africa and bring them back and take the Saracens to school. On zebraback.

The first three, though, are the ones I think I'm pissed most about. Foxes and raccoons are kind of nuisance animals in their wild states, but it seems like foxes could use their guile and cunning to do something beneficial to people, and raccoons could clean up garbage by eating it. Toucans are a little more understandable, since they're rain forest dwelling birds. And I think they can be kept as pets already. Actually, to tell the truth, I'm not really sure I get the idea of birds as pets. Put them in a cage and their not going anywhere, so what really separates a pet bird from one you just happen to catch and lock in your house? Less squawking? Because I could definitely see the advantages to quieter birds.

The others, I understand, are a little bit more difficult. Dog sized elephants would be hard to beat as far as household animals go. Unless it's by a kitten sized jungle cat. I think an ocelot would be a serviceable stand in for an actual jaguar, and they are pretty small. I'm pretty sure, though, that the crushing power of the jaws would probably break hands or arms or something when they're playing. It'd be totally worth it, though.

On an unrelated note, I think I am more deserving of a television program than Carlos Mencia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My uncle raises big cats and had a bobcat as his house cat for a while. He regularly has bingal tiger cubs to play with (he has a male and female...and they like to procreate). And if you raise the big jungle cats from birth and they have regular human play time then they learn how to play and not hurt you (for the most part). After they become full grown you have to be careful because they outweigh a full grown man and the physics of that is a little tough for a cat to catch on to.

Engineer Sighted said...

Luke, that is the best news I've heard all day.