Friday, February 23, 2007

Words and phrases that need to be used more often

Some of you might know that I am an advocate of some things, like Scrubs and Limeade. I think I need to start advocating underused words, in an effort to encourage others and generally improve our culture as a whole. I don't really feel like I need any credit; just being a part of something this big is reward enough.

I think the age of "Dude" has passed. I think we should look to our glorious history of placeholder words and revive "Cat" in this context. As in, "That cat over there just ordered the goulash." It makes me feel classy, like Sammy Davis Jr., every time I use it. What's classier than a cat a member of the Rat Pack and frequently parodied by Billy Crystal? Nothing.

Also, "No dice." It appears in Summertime Blues, so this also has a little mileage to it. However, I feel like it's been sufficiently rested to get some action again. The usage of this one, in case you don't know, is a little bit versatile; it can be an alternative to "No way" as in, "Would you like to help me with my beekeeping? My last partner got stung to death." --"No dice." Another usage is "It doesn't work." or "It was unsuccessful." Example: "No dice on setting up the vodka distillery at the church." The possibilities are endless!

Did we forget about "Bangerang"? It was a catchphrase from Hook, which I don't think got a lot of traction when it first debuted, but now, like a fine cheese, I think is ready for air. It is, of course, an exclamation declaring a positive reaction. Here is how you can work it into everyday conversation: "I can't believe it! I just got laid off!" --"Bangerang!" (if it's a guy you don't like) or "I just won a free movie rental with this scratch off ticket! Bangerang!"

I'm invoking a pair of classics. Some of you cats can offer some suggestions of your own, to modern this up a little. I look forward to some good ones. No dice if you suggest something that sucks, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.