Thursday, January 25, 2007

Slang is so clever

You can probably tell that I am picky about language. There are words and grammar I try to stay away from, like on-lineisms and ending a sentence with a preposition, because I am educated. There are, however, slang words that some people used that irritate me to no end. I think it's a function of overuse, but really, I don't think I need a reason for things to irritate me. Like Rachel Ray, for example. She's comparatively nice looking, I'm sure her food is delicious, but she's just too much. Too much what I can't say.

The word I recently heard that set me off was the slang word "rock" for diamond. I wish I could tell you why this is unsettling to me, but I really have nothing to say about it. Maybe it has something to do with rock being slang for like anything -- diamond, football, testicle -- but in the context of diamonds, just say diamond. Another one is "do you want to come with?" when they really mean "do you want to come with me/us?" English isn't Spanish; pronouns aren't optional, particularly object pronouns. "Shrooms" is almost on this level. It suffers from overuse. Sure, the drug angle was kind of funny the first time you hear it referring to a portabella or shiitakes because it's a little incongruous. It's not funny enough to ever hear it again, though.

I'm sure there are others; there always are. There are some ok ones, too, but at the moment I can't think of any. That's the problem with this sort of outlet. I need a little tablet to keep in my back pocket so that I can track of these things and when the list gets long enough. Until that time, stop using "rock" in place of diamond.

No comments: