Monday, August 14, 2006

A proportionate response

I don't feel like I'm exceeding the bounds of modesty when I say I'm a pretty good cook. If you think I am, I'm probably better than you, anyway. Although I'm only a journeyman with his particular recipe, one of the things in my repertoire is a delightful spaghetti sauce which can be placed on a variety of noodles -- whether they be stuffed shells, thin spaghetti or its fatter (but more fun) sister, regular spaghetti. The hotter spaghetti can be a real bitch sometimes.

The problem that always gets me when I decide to make spaghetti (with any noodle), though, is to get the right amount of noodles. They look so different when they are still raw then they do after you boil them, and even then, when you add the sauce it still can be much more food than I really need to eat. The amount leftover is usually some insignificant amount so that placing it in an entire Gladware container is just wasteful. So, I'll try to eat it and be uncomfortable for a while. That is to say nothing about my inability to match the amount of noodles with an appropriate amount of spaghetti sauce. Hey, I make the ingredients come out ok, I said nothing about presentation.

Now that I say that, though, I can't really decide which is more ridiculous: having the inability to judge proportions of noodles to sauce or the laziness to just keep eating rather than put it away. Maybe I should just give up this whole charade with thin spaghetti altogether.

1 comment:

mlo said...

quick, doctor. recipe. STAT.