Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Southernfolk talk different

Growing up, my dad used to use funny idioms that I'd never heard anywhere else, and since his mom is Southern and my mom is not, I just assumed that's where they came from. One I remember is "You better be over here in two shakes of the lammy's tail." This meant very quickly. Evidently, lammies shake their tails so quickly that they can shake them twice before whatever instant you need to deal with is at hand. I'm pretty sure there is another one, but I can't think of what it is. I have lived in the Real South (as my loyal readers know, I grew up in Florida, which is like the bicurious state) since 2004 now, and have yet to hear any of them come out of any other Southern mouths. So I can only conclude that my dad is an amazing idiomologist and made them up.

There are, however, a number of colloquialisms that I have come across that are worthy of sharing. You will, of course, find them listed and discussed below in my favorite and noblest of all lists: the numbered list.
  1. Show [one's] tail - The first time I heard this one, I actually had to ask for an explanation. I have not heard this one outside of rural South Carolina yet, so it might be unique to there and not Southern at large. It has nothing to do with nudity or discovery of morphological changes in humans, to my disappointment. How great would it be if they discovered lizard people in the Upstate of South Carolina? Clemson's swim team would win all kinds of national championships. It actually means to misbehave, as in, "After eating several pixie sticks, the State Senators really showed their tails."
  2. Cut on - This is the phrase that made me want to write this entry. This one bothers me for aesthetic purposes. It doesn't sound right. This is the opposite of (obviously) cut off, as in "Cut off the woodchipper, he's already dead." Cut off should be obnoxious too, since it doesn't really make sense either, but it gets a pass because cutting off and termination kind of make sense, even though cutting off a light switch is not really that permanent or serious of a change. I do feel strongly though that you should not be able to cut on anything.
  3. Might could - These are two linking verbs. I know that because in seventh grade Mrs. Adair made us memorize all of the linking verbs in the English language via a cute little song that I will never forget ever. The thing about verbs like that, though, is that two of them can't follow each other in a sentence, with the exceptions of am/is/are/was/were and being. No other combinations are possible, including might could. This means might be able to, and I grit my teeth every time I hear someone say this. An example of this being used in a sentence is "I might could help you with your math homework, but you have to take off your shirt first." (In this example, the speaker is talking to a girl [who is over 18]. The speaker can be whichever gender you prefer.)
  4. Stay - This one isn't so much a phrase as it is a word. That's ok, though. It means live. As in, "No, I don't stay in this refrigerator box. Thanks for asking." This one, though, isn't really quite as aggravating or funny as the others, but it's still unusual. Like a cat who barks or a complete sentence coming from Rep. Corrine Brown. I am also told that this is restricted to a subset of Southerners who are also black, which is consistent with my very scientific observations.
I really wish I could remember the other prolific one that my dad would say because it would really make the intro stronger and it's really weird. Feel free to share any regionalisms you have encountered, and point out the region. The stranger the better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard "might could" occasionally. I wouldn't say regularly but occasionally. I like the phrase "like to" as in "He was like to kill me." or "I was like to freeze to death."

Anonymous said...

I've am definitely familiar with "might could", "cut on" and "stay". I agree that "stay" is not as annoying as the others and somewhat more just peculiar. I have heard "stay" from non-blacks, but agree that it leans that way.

I am not sure to what degree it is regional, but "put up" to mean "put away" seems similarly peculiar and poor usage to me, particularly when someone in my Boy Scout troop asked me to "put up that tent" referring to a collection of damp parts on the ground. I thought he wanted it erected so that it would dry, when he actually wanted it in the bag and put away!

My personal favorite is probably "ink pen" which is frequently used to distinguish from "pin" which is pronounced the same way by many in SC.

Engineer Sighted said...

Luke: Never heard that before. People in your neck of Indiana like to pretend they are from down here, though.

Brian: I've never been camping. It is one of my secret shames.

Anonymous said...

If you get the opportunity, try backpacking for a weekend. It's a lot of fun with a pleasant group of people. I think most people try "dump out" (camping by the car), as it is less intimidating, and conclude that tent camping is profoundly boring and unpleasant.