Wednesday, May 09, 2007

We're all screaming

I can't remember if I've posted about ice cream before and what that tells me is that I'm not posting about ice cream enough. When I eat ice cream in, I typically like to go for something that reflects my personality: smart, simple, classy and delicious. So, naturally, it's something like vanilla with chocolate chips. Breyer's, in particular, is one chocolate chip variety of which I am particularly fond. Their chips are bigger, and I like that texture. The crunchiness amuses me.

When I go out, I insist on either M&Ms or peanut butter be in my ice cream in some form. I prefer full sized M&Ms to minis, but if that's all they've got I'll have to manage. I think that peanut butter is wildly underrated as a dessert flavoring. I feel like I'm doing my part now to tell you that next time you go to your local creamery establishment, you should say to the worker there, "Good sir, if you would please include some paste of the peanut in my frozen treat, I should be happy to leave you a generous gratuity." You can replace sir with madam if your server is a girl. Also, Kellogg, the cereal guy, invented peanut butter. Isn't that unusual?

Right now, though, I eating some Mayfield ice cream that is a brilliant variation on Neapolitan: chocolate and vanilla. Notice there is no strawberry. I know some of you are going to leave comments (please?) saying, "Strawberry ice cream is like being touched by the hand of God!" Strawberry ice cream is definitely good, and there is a time and a place for it. The thing is, that time is not right now and the place is not next to chocolate and vanilla. The best part about having a bowl of ice cream that has both chocolate and vanilla is there is no flavor remorse. You know how sometimes when you go to Steak 'n Shake or Stuckey's or where ever and you get a chocolate shake, but after you get it, you see the guy across the place with a vanilla one and wonder if you'd be happier with that? Well, you can do that between bites with this bowl of ice cream. It's monumental. It'd be like having a girlfriend who could alternate between Southern and Irish accents at will. It's almost enough to make me want to go back for a second bowl, but I don't want to weigh 300 pounds.

9 comments:

testglobaltraffic said...

nice blog

Engineer Sighted said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

I thought George Washington Carver invented peanut butter.

Engineer Sighted said...

Evidently, George Washington Carver, while doing a lot of wacky things involving peanuts, was not responsible for inventing peanut butter. Don't believe me? (Well, clearly you don't. And technically, I might not be right, but Kellogg was more interesting than the other guy.) Check out this link:
http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/history/

Anonymous said...

Strawberry ice cream is amazing, but it is so much better when there are actual strawberries in the ice cream (Breyers strawberry ice cream is OUTSTANDING, especially in the summertime). If it is only a strawberry flavor, but no substance, for me it is just a let down. The key to enjoying the strawberry that is frozen within the ice cream is to not chew it up too soon. . . if you keep it in your mouth long enough for the temperature of the strawberry to rise enough for it to soften, it is just a little bit of heaven in your mouth. I find (personally) that fruity desserts, especially chilled ones, are much more enjoyable in the winter months. Not that you asked my opinion on any of this, but I decided instead of reflecting only in my head after reading, I would share this time.=)

Engineer Sighted said...

@Casey

You have clearly given desserts a lot of thought. Pieces of stuff in the ice cream is definitely hard to complain about. I also noticed in your details that you didn't mention inclusion with vanilla or chocolate. So I take that as an implicit agreement that strawberry has no business in Neapolitan.

Also, nobody's complaining about comments. Ever. Unless it's a bot offering deals on mortgage rates or something.

Anonymous said...

I find strawberry ice cream with bits of strawberry to be gross and absurd. When bits of strawberry, or any kind of fruit (that we are not even sure of them being fresh) are in frozen form, they are instantly intolerable, and quite frankly, bad-tasting. I prefer my strawberry ice cream sans frozen strawberry particles. So should anyone who calls themself knowledgeable of ice cream.

Engineer Sighted said...

@The Same Anonymous

When any fruit is in frozen form it is instantly intolerable? Are you on the side of the terrorists? Frozen blue berries and grapes are pretty fantastic. Not to mention raspberries.

Anonymous said...

Fruit in ANY form is fantastic. . . so long as it is fresh. And Breyers fruit always tastes fresh and wonderful. And I never said I was "knowledgeable" on the subject of ice cream. . . I was just expressing my personal opinion in response to Brandon's entry. Didn't mean to hit a nerve there Mr(s). Anonymous. Geez.