Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I'm a little Lost

Whenever I watch television, I see commercials for a lot of shows that I have never seen, since I only watch like 4 programs. Here is a list of the ones I do watch: How I Met Your Mother, Studio 60, Boston Legal and Scrubs. There are a few others that I do watch, but they are due to proximity to those shows. Considering this list, there are, naturally a lot of shows I don't watch. Like CSI, and The Unit, for example. The Unit has probably the funniest name of any show on these days. Way funnier than Will & Grace, for example.

One of those shows that I see ads for all the time that I've never actually seen is one that is apparently rather popular with the kids these days -- Lost. I understand there's a polar bear involved, but that's really the extent of my knowledge. A couple of folks I know make a really big deal out of it, and but it really doesn't sound like the sort of show I could just jump into now. A few people have tried to convince me to pick up season one and catch up and join in, as if they were recruiting me to join a cult. I haven't felt this much pressure since The DaVinci Code came out. The thing is, what if I do decide to give it a watch, and I think it sucks? I've been told by someone whose literary opinion I respect that the DaVinci Code is a terribly written book. A sort of NSync in written form -- catchy, but ultimately without artistic merit.

Truthfully, I have no idea about Lost. (Other than the polar bear, I mean.) I don't know if it's a brilliant show or another iteration of something dumb but popular like Hee Haw. I guess there may be a little bitterness, since one of my shows is getting canceled. The Black Donnellys is looking like it will replace Studio 60 next week, and it gets a chance because the theme song includes bagpipes. That's a general rule of mine -- bagpipes gives chances. My guess, though, is that the people who watch Lost won't be watching The Black Donnellys either, so I'll still be left out. Although I can still make jokes about The Unit.

2 comments:

mlo said...

have you seen 30 rock? it's my new arrested development.

Engineer Sighted said...

I try to live every week as if it were Shark Week.