Saturday, June 24, 2006

You're making quite a bit a' sport of me

I followed two sports over the past few weeks that I don't normally. You have already read about one of them, and the other is our so-called national pastime. The US team was eliminated in the World Cup and Clemson was eliminated from the College Baseball World Series. It's still two months until football season, so what am I going to do for the intervening time? Watch professional baseball? I'd rather eat the stuff at the bottom of my oven.

The soccer loss was a bit hard to take. I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it as a national service, choking down the programming the way a five your old would his cough medicine, trying to support the United States in a place where (surprise) everyone else hates us. We lost to Ghana. I don't really know much about Ghana, other than what its flag looks like and that the United States should never lose to them in anything. So basically, this would be like telling that five year old that the medicine he took was really just cooking oil. Not only did it make you wish for whatever disease it was supposed to prevent, but you might actually get that disease anyway. But soccer will be huge here in five years.

Baseball, on the other hand, is a little less effectual to me. I could go to Clemson games. They were fun, actually. Watching baseball on television is excruciating without a rooting interest. But since I am a Clemson student, I had one; UNC played a serious game and beat us. Then Cal State played us to the last inning and we came up short. It happens. At least it wasn't Ghana.

So back to the question - what am I supposed to do for sport in the time between now and opening day of football? ESPN has been showing paintball a lot, maybe I'll watch that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm completely the opposite: Soccer is fairly exciting to watch, whenever I go to a baseball game, I watch about 3 minutes of the game, and I never watch it on tv.

As for soccer, the US sucks at it because its a sport that requires (a lot of) teamwork and endurance. In(us) football, you get to stop and walk around forever between short sprints. (And you get timeouts. WTF! "I'm tired, lets take 3 more minutes to walk to the line.") In Baseball, you stand around for hours, while one guy stands in the middle of the field and throws a ball. occasionally you have to run to catch a ball or get to the next base. Basketball, well they run some, but its very much a 1-or 2-person show. And again with the timeouts. I suppose Hockey requires both endurance and teamwork, but its like the 2nd least followed sport in the country.
I checked wikipedia for the top sports to make sure i wasn't missing one, and the other popular one was motor sports.... hahahaha.

Also, in soccer you can't use your hands. (don't ask me what that means, I have no idea)

Anonymous said...

Well, I just finished reading your entries for the last week, and I must say, at least it killed some time.

Before you say - or think - anything, I'm going to dispel the thought that I'm some looney stalker, or anything of the sorts for that matter.

My proof? Simple. It's summer. What else am I supposed to do besides read someone's blog that I've never even met? Exactly.

But, yeah. I must say, your writing has an irresistable hook to it, and that's why I read all of your entries. For this week, anyway. (It's a good thing to know that, undoubtededly, when I become bored again, I've always got a clutch to fall back on, right?)

I've been thinking about starting a blog, you know, for the sake of time killing, and at least doing something semi-productive while I lie in wait for my life to start again.

Just letting you know, if you keep writing, I'm sure to keep reading. Until I have a life again, anyways.

Engineer Sighted said...

Steve - There's a George Carlin routine where he says "Soccer is not a sport because you can't use your arms. Anything where you can't use your arms can't be a sport. Tap dancing isn't a sport. I rest my case."

Anonymous - If I wasn't ok with collecting looney stalkers, would I be writing on the internet? Thanks for the "irresistible hook" remark, though. I enjoyed that part.