Saturday, January 21, 2006

Doing Whatever a Coach K Can

I try to watch Clemson basketball whenever I can. I went to the Wake Forest game, it was fun. I couldn't make it into the Duke game, but I did watch it on tv. I watched Clemson beat Georgia Tech today, and that was great. But the important thing is what I realized while watching the Duke game on tv, and it's entirely unrelated to Clemson basketball.

In case you don't know, Duke is coached by Mike Krzyzewski, the man below. Nobody knows how to pronounce or spell his name (the spelling above is an approximation, like 3.14 for Pi), so they just call him Coach K.

He is a fantastic coach. He is probably the best college coach out there, and I respect him for it greatly. However, I can't get over the fact that he reminds me of a goblin. Especially when he is angry. It gets distracting when I am watching basketball and Duke is playing. And since Duke is Duke, every one of their games is televised by ESPN, because everybody loves Duke. At least, everybody who doesn't love a competing team. They're like the Notre Dame of college basketball. People just like them for no reason. Unless they hate them. None of this, however, changes the fact that the man looks like a goblin. It has changed my whole viewing experience; so when most people are watching the basketball court and seeing something like this:


Which isn't particularly unusual, since Coach K is frequently looking angry while directing his Blue Devils using some sort of hand signal towards the court while pointing at his unit. What I see, though, is slightly different; it is actually something more like this:

Duke got beat today by Georgetown, it was their first loss of the season. Their next game is on the 26th against VTech, I'm sure it'll be on ESPN. Just watch out for pumpkin bombs.

No comments: